Running for the thrill of it

"We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it. Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it... I'm just in awe of what's in front of me."





Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Paint it all pink

I have signed up for the pinkie triathlon on Nov 27. It is a short distance and I am told it is not very competitive, so a good event for a first attempt I figure. Mostly, I liked the comment from Tamyka that "not many people will wear race suits". Although the idea of turning up in a superhero suit does mildly amuse me, I don't want to go out and spend money on something I may never wear again (if the whole triathlon thing turns out to be another one of my silly ideas).

The first leg is a 300m swim. To most people this probably sounds very easy, but this is the part that fills me with dread. I know I won't drown, but it is highly questionable if I will be able to accomplish much more than that. It may be that the rest of the field is finishing the bike leg before I even get out of the water. I have been training a fair bit for this part of the race. Basically, I go to the pool a couple of times a week and try to swim 300m freestyle without hanging out at the end of the pool to gulp down some air between laps. Once the 300m is complete I grab the pull-buoy and take it easy for the next 700m. I have been mildly successful and am fairly confident now that I should be able to get through the swim leg without having to stop and catch my breath, or switch to breaststroke midway.

Next is a 9km bike ride. I am ok with this. The issue that I have with cycling is that I get scared of the traffic, but I assume there will only be other bikes on the road during the race, so this shouldn't be an issue. On the weekend I rode from Kenmore to the city and back and found this to be quite enjoyable, other than when some idiot tried to run me off the road despite the fact that I was in the bike lane.

Then finally, a 3km run. This should be easy for me, but the truth is I am a slow runner, and I may still be catching my breath from the swim.

So... Pinkie Tri. Or is it Pinky Tri.

Oh yeah, I am pacing Tam at Great North Walk! I am hoping that with 100km in her legs when she gets to me, I will be able to keep up with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment