Running for the thrill of it

"We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it. Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it... I'm just in awe of what's in front of me."





Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Not My Year

I am not one for new year's resolutions or new year's goals. I generally have running goals all the time, although recently it is just to not get injured. So instead I will reflect on 2011, which I think was an ok year. I think some horrible things happened, but I still enjoyed it mostly. This isn't all about running, but I figure some people might appreciate the break anyways.

10 big events from the year that was:
1. Stress fracture - after a couple of months of pain in my right foot, a scan revealed a very nasty stressie in my left foot. 2 months in a moon boot and 3 months off running did my head in a bit.
2. Decisions - Am I allowed to mention it on the internet yet I wonder. To cut out anything I can't say, I had to decide if I would move myself, husband and K9s to NY city. After much deliberation and a whirlwind trip, I decided not to.
3. Oh Canada - I spent July in Canada. I love that country. Every time I go there it amazes me even more and every time I leave, it feels a little bit sadder.
4. My grandmother died - this is more something that happened to people that I love than happened to me.
5. Oxfam Trailwalker - I had total FOMO and entered Trail Walker as soon as entries opened. A few weeks later I got the diagnoses on my foot. My podiatrist did a lot of frowning whenever I brought up the topic of TW and we finally agreed that I should just walk it rather than run. At 60km I pulled out because my foot was killing me.
6. The real world - I started a new job. I am now a marketing professional. I quite like it. I miss the Eagle St crowd though.
7. Washpool 50km - The one ultra I completed in the whole year. Woot woot. This mattered a lot to me because it was a signal that I was injury free for the first time in a very long time.
8. Great North Walk - I got the honour of pacing the lovely Susannah for GNW. It was an incredible experience. I may just become a pacer instead of completing races myself in future.
9. Triathlon Pink - I got over my fear of swimming and completed a very, very short triathlon. I felt pretty chuffed.
10. Twins! I have two new nephews (and yet another arriving very shortly). After a bit of a scare when the boys decided to come VERY early, the boys are healthy and at home with their fantastic parents Michael and Jared.

No comments:

Post a Comment