Running for the thrill of it

"We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it. Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it... I'm just in awe of what's in front of me."





Sunday, October 7, 2012

Glasshouse 100km - Race Report


For me, the Glasshouse ultra series is pretty special. For a start, it is where I started out in ultra running with the 50km at Cook’s Tour in May 2010. More importantly, the event has a real community feel to it and always reminds me of what I loved about this sport in the first place – the simple joy of running. Let’s not forget the delicious food on offer at the checkpoints either! This year, the 100km lived up to all my expectations and a little bit more.

I had one very simple goal and one very big goal going into the event. Firstly, I wanted to run my own race. I wasn’t going to go out hard to keep up with other people or run at someone else’s pace in the dark so that I wouldn’t be alone. The second goal was to finish in 14 – 15 hours but preferably closer to 14. I developed a race plan based on 14 hours and decided, with Tam’s advice, that I wasn’t going to reassess until at least 30km. I really wasn’t sure if I could do 14 hours, but I wanted to give it a go and decided I wouldn’t blow up too much if I got it wrong.

The race started pretty well and I stuck to both my goals. I let my friends run off ahead of me and I settled into a pace that I felt comfortable with. By the time I got through to checkpoint 4, at about 25km, I was pretty much on my target pace. I was having a pretty perfect day with only minor mishaps. I had missed a turn and run a bit extra, but not too far and my checkpoint plan didn’t go so well as I had trouble getting the lid off my bottle a lot. Sweaty hands suck.

I continued running fairly well, but I was having issues with tummy cramps and had to stop a few times. I thought my actual running pace was still pretty good, but I was starting to slow due to the stops. The cramps were also making it difficult to take down any solid food, so I was sticking to a trusty formula of coke and gels, but the yummy food at checkpoints looked oh so tempting. I took a longer break at checkpoint 5 to use the porta-loo, but after waiting outside for a few minutes, I came to the conclusion that I didn’t want to go in there after whoever was in there, because they were taking a bit too long. The bush loo would have to do!

I enjoyed the goat track between checkpoints 5 and 6, but some of the steep uphill seemed to sap my energy. The powerlines were next and I was most excited. I was a little disappointed to find that they were bone dry this year, which meant they were a lot less fun with no scrambling around in the mud. The sun was beating down and it was dry and dusty, which took away some of my joy. I still loved the steep, rutted down hills and with each energy sapping uphill, I reminded myself that there would be a downhill to follow. When the powerlines ended I was out on the road and I ran my way into checkpoint 8.

Lucky for me Libby was at Checkpoint 8 crewing for Nic. She insisted I eat some of his KFC and it actually went down really well. She helped me out filling a second bottle and getting myself organised. I was so glad to see her and get her help because I had started to feel a bit low. Forcing down the solid food helped too. I was much happier as I headed out of checkpoint 8 for the loop.

I had forgotten just what the loop at 8 is like. In my mind, it was the big downhill, flat for 8k then back up the big hill. I somehow blocked out all the other hills in the second half of the loop. I was over half way by that point and as the section was turning out to be a lot slower than I estimated, I knew I wasn’t going to make 14hrs. At the 50ish km mark I had checked my watch and I was pretty close to 7 hours, so that meant I would need to run at the same pace for the next 50km. I really didn’t think I had that in me. I was starting to blow up just a little bit and was already pretty certain I needed to reassess. The miscalculation of the loop’s difficulty confirmed I needed to reassess. Although I was a little disappointed, I was very happy I had given it a go and I didn’t think I would be horrendously off my target either.

After the loop at 8, things went pretty well. The run out to checkpoint 7 and the loop at 7 were quite easy and I welcomed the fire trail. I was ok with boring if it meant I could move at some speed. I decided to not pick up my spare headlamp at 7 but wait until I got to my ay-ups in my drop bag at 6 as I thought I had enough time, and I didn’t want to have to fiddle around with headlamps twice. I got a little nervous towards the end of that leg though, as it was meant to be 7.5km and my watch was showing 8km and I still couldn’t see the checkpoint. I knew I was on the course because there was plenty of flagging tape, but was it possible I somehow missed the checkpoint? I needed to get to that checkpoint for my headlamp! Just when I was getting really worried, the checkpoint finally came into site. I picked up my trusty ay-ups and helped a lady out who was crewing for her husband. I hope the Emodium helped him! I wonder if he was the one in the porta-loo earlier. Eww.

As the sun started to set, I headed into the goat track towards checkpoint 5. I couldn’t believe how much more of the course I got to cover in day light this year than back in 2010. It was nice to actually do some of the goat track without the aid of the headlamp. I had a great time going through there and without the time concern, I didn’t mind the uphills either.

As I came out onto the road heading to checkpoint 5, it started to occur to me that I was completely alone in the dark. I hate the dark. I am scared of the dark. I started to panic. I convinced myself I was lost if I couldn’t see any flagging tape. I started to consider waiting for someone but as soon as that thought entered my mind, I reminded myself that I was 28years old and it is a bit pathetic to be afraid of the dark. I continued on, still a little panicked, but also determined.

As I left checkpoint 5, I remembered last year where I had given Chris what I thought was encouragement, with the advice that it was all downhill or flat from here. Woohoo! I took off with a spring in my step. I was going to make 14:45 I thought – fantastic! As I came past the point where my crew and Tamyka had met me in 2010, I remembered how I had yelled out to them “woohooo I am going to finish” and I felt that same sense of exhilaration this time around.

I continued by myself in the dark and was surprised to come across Bec with about 6km to go. I said a quick hello and continued on my way, determined not to seek out company in the dark. It was with great joy that I turned onto the track along the road headed back to the school. It was almost over! I said hello to all the 100mile runners who passed me leaving the school and thought to myself that I was glad I didn’t have to head back out from the school myself. Finally I got to the school and ran over the finish line – exhausted and amazed. I had finished in 14:35, 52 minutes better than my last attempt! It had been such an awesome day, with awesome people and a great event.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment