Running for the thrill of it

"We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it. Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it... I'm just in awe of what's in front of me."





Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Very Simple Answer

Why do you run? The question is asked of me all the time. I especially love the version of this question when people discover I run ultras - "why do you run that far?" The question is generally asked in two ways - awe or contempt. I understand awe, although I do not agree it is necessary. Contempt bewilders me, but it is sometimes there. I don't encounter it too much, but when I do, it really bothers me.

I really got thinking about this back in January, when I crewed for hubby at the Narrabeen All Nighter. This is a 12 hour race where runners complete a 3.33km out and back course as many times as they can in the 12hours. They run along a shared bike and pedestrian path beside a lake. For the first few laps there were still a lot of people in the parks surrounding the lake, enjoying the last light of a summer afternoon. They soon started asking what was going on and the conversations went something like this:

random person: "What is going on? Is this a race or something?"
Me: "Yeah there is a race on tonight".
random person: "How long is it"
Me: "The course is 3.3km. They run that as many times as they can in 12 hours."
Random Person: "Sorry, what?" / "Huh" / "Why?" / "That can't be good for you"

Most of these people seemed amazed that people were doing this, almost in awe. They cheered for the runners until they left and they seemed quite delighted to have stumbled upon this strange group. A few people though, actually seemed angry that somebody would do this. There are always the comments that it can't be good for you and also this general disbelief that it could be enjoyable in any way.

This attitude bothers me a lot. I am not here to make comment on whether or not this kind of endurance sport is good for you or not. That is for medical professionals. What I do know is that we take risks in our lives all the time. My husband played Aussie Rules Football for years and nobody ever made mention of the fact that he could sustain a head injury, break bones and so on. With running, I am told on a weekly basis that I am damaging my joints. I don't think the health risks, whether real or imagined, are actually what people have an issue with. I think it is just something they can grasp onto to explain why they don't like this.

I have a very simple answer to the question of why I run. I run for fun. I love it. Just like some people love surfing, playing soccer or playing footy, I love running. Do I need to explain it any further than that? So why do I run so far? There are a few answers to this. Firstly, given that I love it, I figure I should do more of it. Moreover though, I am just a bit of an obsessive person and I don't do any thing in moderation, like eating chocolate or acquiring pets. Finally, here is a little secret, I find running long and steady a lot bloody easier than short distances. When I do a 5km race, I feel like my lungs are going to burst and my legs are going to give way. When I do a trail ultra, I feel peaceful. Sure it hurts, but I can handle that type of pain.

On the same token though, I don't think running is for everyone. I think everyone is capable of course, but I don't think everyone will get the same joy from it that I do. I just think we should do the things we enjoy and accept that those things aren't the same for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment